Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  These Forums are for Peer Support. For direct and immediate support, use the Live Chat or Support Ticket System
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Posting Chrislands Payment Gateway Announcement (Read 134 times)
chatham_circle_books
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Posting Chrislands Payment Gateway Announcement
May 25th, 2012 at 11:46am

Hello All,

As of June 22nd, 2012 we will be narrowing down the credit card payment methods available through ChrisLands stores to Google Checkout and PayPal.

You can continue to offer any direct payment options which you process yourself, including having the customer pay you by credit over the phone, payment by check, money order, bank draft, cash payment in store, bank wire and other direct options. We're also reviewing what other payment processing options we may be able to include in the future.

Why is ChrisLands limiting its offering to Google Checkout and PayPal?  These two payment options are robust and well-known globally.  PayPal is available in most major countries.  While Google Checkout is currently available only to merchants in the USA and the UK, buyers worldwide can use this system to make secure purchases. Google is looking to expand the reach of this service which will open it up to ChrisLands merchants in other regions.  With Google Checkout and PayPal, your customers will be offered the convenience of using credit card payment systems with which they are already both familiar and comfortable.

If you're not set up with a Google Checkout and PayPal merchant account, we've put together information pages to guide you through the process.  Click <<here>> to view these pages. You can learn more about Google Checkout and PayPal at their respective websites:
Google Checkout
PayPal

Please refer to Google and PayPal's fee schedules:
Google Checkout fees
PayPal Merchant Fees

We will be updating our User Agreement to reflect this upcoming change.

We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Jaymes Sorbel
President, ChrisLands.com Inc

IP Logged

book_seller
Poster

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Re: Posting Chrislands Payment Gateway Announcement
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2012 at 1:29pm

I switched my web site to White Oak Books in  January. I am able to accept all major credit cards via their link to Mal's Ecommerce and my account at Paypro. Paypro fees are much lower than Google Checkout or Paypal.  Additionally my web site monthly charges from White Oak are 60% less than what I used to pay at Chrislands. I also am able to tie directly into Amazon with White Oak Books, use Amazon images, book descriptions, reviews and routinely receive seller referral fees from Amazon. What surprises me with Chrislands is that they are owned by Amazon yet offer no Amazon tie in, no referral fees, no image sharing and no access to Amazon book descriptions or reviews. Now they are cutting payment options and apparently not reducing their monthly fees. How much longer can they continue down this path before they go out of business?  Huh

IP Logged

chatham_circle_books
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2012 at 11:23am

Posted by: "Jaymes Sorbel" info@chrislands.com chrislands_com
   Date: Fri May 25, 2012 10:56 am ((PDT))

All,
First, I'm sorry for not saying more and what I'm about to say is still not going to make some of you feel any better.  For this I am truly sorry. 

This applies to ChrisLands as well, we will not be able to store credit cards anymore either.  We are in the same boat.  We will be switching our processing to ProtectPay from Propay, the same method we will initially be offering for store owners.

We intend to have this complete before June 22nd, however, we could not add this in the official announcement as it is not integrated yet.  As a developer I hesitate to guarantee any development timelines, but feel really good it will be complete because of its importance and I have already started.  When complete, in that case, for those who use Propay or choose to
use Propay there will be no interruption in credit card processing.

We chose ProtectPay from Propay to integrate back in first as we a have a relationship with them already.  This relationship does not involve referral fees from ProPay to ChrisLands.  When we first went with Propay, it was a referral fee for us or Propay gives our members a discount on the annual fee.  We chose the discount for our members versus getting any referral fees.  This has not changed. 

After talking with my POC at Propay, he made it clear that there will be no difference in the setup for our store owners who currently use or choose to use Propay.  As for costs, the only difference will be 8 cents more per transaction for the storage of the credit card information.  Propay assumesthis liability and it is their fee (not ChrisLands).

Continued on next post......

IP Logged

chatham_circle_books
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2012 at 11:24am

For more information about Propay go here:
http://www.propay.com/affiliate/wlwkjedo?refid=wlwkjedo
Please note this likes like a referral link but it is so you see the
ChrisLands members pricing at their site.  Click Sign Up Today at the top right to see the ChrisLands annual fees.  The normal fee is $59.95 annually.

Once we have ProtectPay fully integrated we will look at adding more payment methods/gateways where the handling of the actual credit card information is minimal and storage of that information is done at the processers or not at all.  This will be our priority for several months to come.  Again, we just chose to do this with Propay first due to our relationship.

One thing this should do is make your own PCI assessments easier as you no longer will store credit card information on your website.  In fact, many of you might be able to stop the scanning of your site altogether.  I'm not really up to speed on this, but no credit card storage is bound to make it easier.  You might want to check into this yourself to see how this helps.

The ones this will impact the most is the stores that used to collect the credit card information from their store's admin and process manually somehow.  For this I am sorry.

As for the timing of this,  I agree with many of you, but storing credit card information is a huge liability and much of the ecommerce industry is looking at or moving to ways to more securely handle this information. There have been many companies over the last several years that made similar
announcements, some of you may remember those announcements
from much larger companies than ChrisLands.  It is probably a wonder we lasted as long as we did. We were working with a timeline and did the best we could.

Just to make it perfectly clear, personally, I feel terrible!

Continued on next post

IP Logged

chatham_circle_books
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2012 at 11:24am

I might as well add a note about development here.  Due to limited
development resources, not to mention server maintenance, server upgrades, customer support, and oh yeah, marketing when there is a second, we have to really prioritize development projects.  We develop things that are good for the vast majority of our store owners and that are asked for by many store owners, versus these individual requests from one or two store owners.

If a project affects many store owners, such as this ProtectPay integration, we prioritize that towards the top (or at the top in this case).  For those projects, especially large detailed projects, that affects only one or only one store owner has asked for it, we have to put that lower on the list.

Sincerely,
Jaymes H. Sorbel
Operate Your Own Bookstore

IP Logged

WhiteOakBooks
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 8:11pm

Well thank you Chrislands for taking away the 1 big advantage over my service.

A little surprising since Amazon now owns them and certainly have the technical ability to maintain PCI compliance.

I wonder if they would prefer their high end customers to use an Amazon Webstore instead.

Andy
WhiteOakBooks

IP Logged

issachar
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:48am

Amazon told me that I would only be able to sell New books on the webstore.  So much for that...........

pete b
petesbookstore

IP Logged

WhiteOakBooks
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 12:30pm

issachar wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:48am:
Amazon told me that I would only be able to sell New books on the webstore.  So much for that...........

pete b
petesbookstore

Really?  I thought you could upload your own inventory.

Maybe that was their 1st version.

I've always found their stores confusing.

Andy
WhiteOakBooks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print