Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  These Forums are for Peer Support. For direct and immediate support, use the Live Chat or Support Ticket System
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alibris packing slips (Read 890 times)
sofaslugsbooks
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Alibris packing slips
Mar 6th, 2011 at 12:29am

If anyone is curious they can drop by the Alibris forums and look up the threads in the Alibris Answer forums regarding the new packing slip layout.  There is a controversy over the ink usage - like any of us sell enough on Alibris anymore for it to eat into our cost...lol.

Heather mentioned something interesting. She said third party software generates their own packing slips for Alibris (she mentioned f***z and Monsoon) and said that all third party custom packing slips are approved by Alibris.

So I'm running with this like a kid with scissors and switching back to my AoB custom packing slips since they do suck up less ink and take less time to load. (those two or three extra seconds add up over a decade Wink

Thought some of you might also find this worth noting.

Happy sales!

IP Logged

baker_book_house
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Re: Alibris packing slips
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 1:03pm

Huh. I just sort of did the opposite. I was using AOB packing slips all along and then just the other day realized that there was all of this other information on Alibris packing slips--primarily Borders order numbers, but also coupons for the customer, etc. [I'd had a customer with a weird situation on a Borders order, I couldn't help him and neither could Alibris--they told me he ought to use his Borders order number and contact them. Oops, didn't know there were Boarders order numbers.]

So, now I've been trying to use Alibris packing slips, but it's more steps. And, if an order is consolidated it doesn't give me the option to print a packing slip on Alibris.

I'm interested to hear how other people handle this. Do you use Alibris packing slips or AOB custom ones?

IP Logged

Stacks_o_Books
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 12:50am

Quote:
So, now I've been trying to use Alibris packing slips, but it's more steps. And, if an order is consolidated it doesn't give me the option to print a packing slip on Alibris.

It shouldn't be extra steps to print Alibris packing slips, as long as you have the "Use Alibris supplied packing slips?" Yes radio button checked on your Vendor Settings page. Then they print out from AOB just like your AOB packing slips. No need to leave AOB, log in to Alibris, and print packing slips from there - unless it is a multi-item order. Then you have to log into Alibris, accept the items, and then you can print a consolidated packing slip from there. But you have to mark the items as filled first before you can print.

IP Logged

baker_book_house
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 11:26am

Brilliant! Thank you so much. I didn't know there was the option to print Alib slips right from AOB. You've saved me extra steps!

If only there was a way for me to know what it is I don't know, I could investigate options and probably save myself a lot of work in all sorts of ways. Smiley

IP Logged

povertyhillbooks
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 6:06am

Quote:
If only there was a way for me to know what it is I don't know, I could investigate options and probably save myself a lot of work in all sorts of ways.

I agree, AOB isn't very good in clearly notifying users about changes and upgrades.  There's been a lot of changes since the help pages were written.  If you weren't a user when the Alibris/EDI light went into effect, you'd never know about turning on the Alibris packing slip function.

Regarding the new international shipping column on the bulk ship page (that appeared one day), I guess it's pretty much self explanatory however it would have been nice to hear something from the developer.  It is supposed to be "Mac stable", however when using the new ship pages, some of the settings stick and some don't.  I finally learned the ropes myself.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened with the E-campus confirmation thing.  At the beginning, you would have to confirm your E-campus order through AOB, now the order comes in without that option, just an option to cancel.  Orders seems to confirm when the book is marked shipped on AOB.  Who would have known.  After a dozen E-capmus sales, I figured it out.  I still wonder what the various radio buttons do on the ship pages, some are obvious however how does it effect inventory when one is selected over an other? Does that change carry over to the venue? What does "defer" mean?  I remember searching high and low on the help pages, nothing was ever written about them.

Maybe the unannounced upgrades and changes are just part of the character of the site.  I'm pretty laid back, I probably would have done the same thing.  I'm a technical klutz, if it wasn't for the AOB forum, I would never have figured out the site.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

baker_book_house
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:04am

One more thing on these AOB packing slips. I've decided to use the "use both" option on printing the Alibris packing slips. We use all of the information on the AOB slip to pull the book and for filing. Obviously Alib wants us to use their version for the actual packing slip. Thus, printing both seems like the best option for me.

However, when I do this, the Alibris packing slips that print out are about 1/3 of the normal size that they should be. The font is very small, it takes up just over a quarter of the normal page. Has anyone run into this? Is it something I just have to live with or is there some browser setting I can change to make these pages print as a whole page?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Stacks_o_Books
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 6:33pm

Quote:
the Alibris packing slips that print out are about 1/3 of the normal size that they should be.

Hmm, that's odd. If anything, mine run a line or long too long and I end up with a second page with one or two line of the return instructions. Which annoys me to no end.

But too small? I think that's fodder for a support ticket.

I am curious why you would need to print the AOB packing slip, though. Do you use the pull list feature? That can be customized to include any information you need.

IP Logged

CoveredBridgeBooks
Poster

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Madison VA
Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:55pm

I had the two page problem after switching to Mac. I now print all my packing slips from the PC. I believe it is a browser or printer setting. I can reduce the size of the page percentage wise but this requires printing each packing slip individually.
I"m betting your using a Mac too.

IP Logged

Stacks_o_Books
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 7:01pm

You bet correctly!   Grin

I just try to remember to print from page 1 to page 1 in the print window, so I don't end up with a second page with one or two lines of text. We have 2 PCs in the house, but one needs a new wireless card, so its not on the 'net, and the other one is my son's, 2 floors away, and not connected to my printer. So it's the Mac or nothing!

IP Logged

povertyhillbooks
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 8:02pm

I'm using a mac and get the two page Alibris thing happening with Firefox (one or two sentences too long).  If I print my slips with Safari, it will give me a single page Alibris packing slip every time.  I wasn't able to change things with my printer margin settings so it seems to be a browser issue.  So I use Firefox for everything else because I like it better but leave the packing slips for Safari.

IP Logged

Stacks_o_Books
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 2:25pm

Oooh, that's a great tip Poverty! I will definitely give that a try. Like you, I prefer Firefox but certainly can switch over to Safari to do that.

Thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged

baker_book_house
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 10:07am

Hmm. Maybe I'll have to play around with some different browsers if I get some spare time to check it out.

As a side note, we do use the AOB packing slips for pulling and then filing after shipping. I've wondered about using the pull list, but it seems to complicate matters rather than make them simpler. Partly, this is because "this is the way we've always done it", and getting people to change habits sometimes isn't worth it. Do you find using the pull list effective?

We can have over 100 orders a day and I think it would get confusing to figure out which books had been pulled and which hadn't. Whereas using the packing slip once the slip is in the book it can be set aside and all that's left are the slips sans books. I'd love to be able to visit some other sellers and just see how they run things. Sometimes I think there might be better ways to do things, if I just had the imagination to dream it up.

IP Logged

Stacks_o_Books
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 12:53pm

The pull list is part of our daily routine. I print out the orders in the sequence they appear in the AOB "Ship Your Books" screen, then print a pull list (which is in the same sequence - both in order by location.) So when I start pulling, I don't have to handle a big stack of paper - just the pull list. I keep the books in the same sequence as the pull list, then move the stacks to the area where I weigh each one. As I weigh each book, I put it's matching packing slip with it (easy, because they're still in the same sequence.) I use the pull list to note the weight of each item. Then the pull list goes to the computer with me to do my bulk ship/Endicia postage run. Once the postage is run, I go back to the stacks and slip the postage in with the packing slip - which are still in the same order, and the postage prints out in the same sequence as the pull list, so matching the labels to the items is easy.

Since my husband does all the packing and shipping, I also use the pull list to highlight any special handling issues - priority mail, international, etc. I'll note if we need to use a flat rate envelope, for example, or a bubble mailer. Works for us! I can't imagine NOT using a pull list!  Smiley

The pull list, because it's in location sequence, makes pulling orders very efficient, because you simply start at one end of your shelving storage and work your way to the other end (an over-simplification on my part, since we have inventory on 3 floors, but the point is you aren't running from one shelf to another distance shelf and back again to pull.) And speaking as one who has worked at some very large catalog companies, this is basically how many of them do it too.

IP Logged

baker_book_house
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #13 - May 5th, 2011 at 10:41am

Thanks for your insight. Smiley Always looking for new tips on how to make things more efficient.

IP Logged

cybercity
Ex Member

Rock on!

Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 1:52pm

I quit using packing slips all together several years ago and never get any complaints. Save your time, money and extra weight. The customers know what they ordered and where it came from. I send an email witht he details and thats it. I do about 2k orders per month and I cannot remember the last time a customer asked about a packing slip. Works for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print