Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  These Forums are for Peer Support. For direct and immediate support, use the Live Chat or Support Ticket System
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chrislands Startup advice requested (Read 2329 times)
bookseller1955
Ex Member

Chrislands Startup advice requested
Sep 26th, 2010 at 11:15pm

I signed up for a Chrislands web site after reading many of the posts here and researching what Chrislands has to offer. So far I am pleased. I could use some advice though from seasoned sellers. Some posters say that they can charge more on their own site than they can on venues. Makes sense but does it really work? Is it worth listing all my books on my site or should I leave the fast movers to Amazon and list just those that have an Amazon sales rank over 5,000? Finally what payment options work best? ChrisLands offers a link to the bank they deal with for a merchant account. Anyone use that? Good/bad? How about Google Cart or Paypal behind the scenes account? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Yes, I know that we all compete but I have something to offer in return. I will be doing many custom things to my Chrislands web site as I am also a web programmer. If someone offers good advice I will be happy to reciprocate by answering technical questions or sharing tips on how to improve web sites. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.  Smiley

IP Logged

Shelly
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Re: Chrislands Startup advice requested
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 2:43pm

Hi Bookseller1955:

We have been with Chrislands for 5 years and are very happy.

As far as payments, I can only speak to what we use....PayPal and ProPay. Both are behind the scenes; however, ProPay by far is used more often. We also use ProPay for direct sales. We are extremely happy with our ProPay account.  Over the years, we have slowly eliminated taking money orders, cash, checks....atleast we do not advertise it any longer.

Typically, we do not raise prices on our website. We feel that our site is already cheaper for us to sell on so why raise the prices. However, books that are pennied out on other venues typically sell higher on booksellers websites if they are priced reasonable. We do try to sell them for $1.00 - $3.95 before they get culled out of our inventory.

Most of our sales from our website are for volume sales and are from buyers looking for shipping savings. If our sales flip to one book (which tend to be the higher priced items) at a time verses 25 books (which tend to be inexpensive leisure reading), we might consider raising prices.

We list all of our inventory on our website except those that we limit to Amazon only due to ranking.

Hope this helps and wish you much success with Chrislands.

Shelly

IP Logged

bookseller1955
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 8:51pm

Shelly,
Thank-you for your advice. I am just about done with the web site; maybe I can go live in a week. It will be at http://www.brockettdesigns.com
I signed up for Google Cart and will be offering that. I am still on the fence though for using a Merchant Account provider. I understand that from your post both Paypal and Paypro work behind the scenes with Chrislands. That is to say that the customer simply enters their credit card information on the Checkout page and is unaware that either Paypal or Paypro checks his card to get an authorization. How important do you think behind the scenes card processing is as opposed to sending the customer to Google or PayPal directly?
I understand that Paypal now offers a way for customers to be directed to the Paypal site from the Chrislands shopping cart. Once at the Paypal site the customer can use their Paypal account or simply enter their card information. Personally I like using Google Cart or my Paypal account with my normal credit card. It feels a little more secure. Less chance of my credit card number ending up in the hands of bad guys. What are your thoughts and experience?
One last note. PayPro charges a higher per transaction percentage than Paypal but only a flat YEARLY fee of $30.00. PayPal charges $30.00 a month plus a percentage of the charge. PayPro seems a better deal if I sell less than $4,000.00 a month on my site. I expect sales to be much lower than that for at least the first year or two.
Thanks in advance to all who can offer advice. 8)
Tim

IP Logged

Shelly
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 12:52am

Tim,

I really can not comment on how important it is for "behind the scenes" processing. It is all we have ever used.  ProPay processes 90% of our sales; whereas, PayPal processes only 10% of them. You are correct that the customer has the option of using their PayPal account or credit cards via the PayPal site; however most of our customers are still opting to use ProPay.

ProPay is by far cheaper for us to use. I would not even consider using PayPal as my credit card processor with those fees. The advantage of having a merchant account is that you can send the customer an invoice for any reason such as a direct sale or additional shipping costs.  Even if we cancelled our website, I would still keep our ProPay account.

Good luck with launching your site.

Shelly

IP Logged

shaderock
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 10:03am

I browsed Propays website for information and was a little confused about one thing; are you able to use their service to have the customers card charged directly i.e. the customer orders an item enters their credit card info while checking out and they get charged for that without us having to go in an process the transaction. I currently use Paypal payments pro and was wondering if the service was different in any way, because it looked like I would have to process the transactions manually each time an order was placed.

IP Logged

Shelly
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 11:31pm

Shaderock.....

No....all ProPay processing is automatic and behind the scenes during checkout on our Chrislands website. We get e-mail notifications for successful and denied transactions. We do nothing except request funds to be transferred from our ProPay account into our busines account. We have never had a charge back or fraudlent use of a credit card via ProPay. We are extremely happy with their service. We also can go in and manually send an invoice to a customer.

I am sure that there are other processors that other sellers are just as happy with. This was the only credit card option that Chrislands offered 5 years ago and we have just stuck with it.

Five years ago Chrislands had to set upProPay at the back end for you. These days you may be able to configure your site for ProPay automatically via the Adminstrator. Not really sure how it happens now.

Hope this clarifies.

Shelly

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print