Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  These Forums are for Peer Support. For direct and immediate support, use the Live Chat or Support Ticket System
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It's gone quiet again... (Read 2675 times)
Gip Plaster
Ex Member

Writer, Bookseller, Blogger

It's gone quiet again...
Apr 27th, 2010 at 11:53am

I noticed the forums have gone completely quiet again. I haven't seen any new posts in a couple of days. I've been a bit "under the weather" -- although the weather's actually been quite nice here.

If you're desperate for something to read, I don't have any new posts about bookselling on my blog this week, but I have posted the "4 Reasons I'm Still Writing About Spirituality". It follows last week's post "3 Reasons I Shouldn't Write About Spirituality".

http://www.gipplaster.com/2010/04/26/4-reasons-im-still-writing-about-spirituali...

Gip

There's so much more to a simple, meaningful life than just one thing.&&&&Bookselling - Simpler Living - Spirituality - Writing Life&&So Much More...&&http://www.gipplaster.com&&;

IP Logged

padre
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Re: It's gone quiet again...
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 12:35pm

Yes, the forums are quiet.   Several times a day I read the few posts that are here, hoping for some advice or secret knowledge that will help me sell books.     I don't know if I have too few books listed, if they are priced too high, or if they are just unwanted.   Or all of the above, or none of the above.   

I enjoy your posts and your blog.    Spirituality...interesting subject.   

padre

IP Logged

Gip Plaster
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 5:15pm

I try to check in here twice a day. It usually doesn't take long because there aren't many posts.

My problem recently is on the supply side. I'm not buying enough to maintain the level of sales I want. Part of that is because I have less money available to buy with, but it's mostly because my old buying patterns aren't getting me the same number of books. I'm trying to vary things a bit, but that may be a mistake.

Gip

There's so much more to a simple, meaningful life than just one thing.&&&&Bookselling - Simpler Living - Spirituality - Writing Life&&So Much More...&&http://www.gipplaster.com&&;

IP Logged

padre
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 9:05am

My problem isn't having enough books!   I moved out of two small shops at the same time last year, and now I am overrun with books.   It's so frustrating to look at the "Ship" list and see that there are no orders.   I spent so much time setting up my presto store and tending to my Amazon "collectible" fiasco, and trying to figure out the new ebay workings, that I didn't list any new books for awhile.   

All the penny books, and now the 99-cent ones......do these sellers actually make money?   I did read an article a few months ago in BookThinker about the penny sellers.   It hardly seems worth the trouble, although maybe they make it up in shipping.   I send all my paypal orders at exact postage cost, and amazon etc. do allow $3.99 so its possible to make what? a dollar there?

Sorry for complaining...I usually don't.    Smiley

gradmama

IP Logged

Gip Plaster
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 6:15pm

I saw that article about penny sellers, but I that was at least two postage rate increases ago, and I don't think the numbers they came up with are valid anymore. They just barely worked then.

I tend not to worry with low-return ventures, so I didn't get hooked into Presto. If you have the time to market a website, it can result in a modest number of sales, but given that our inventory items already appear to every potential book buyer through Amazon and others, there's really no point in that work or expense.

The most common reason sellers cite for wanting their own fully-automated bookselling site is to save the sales fee they pay to the venues or for the prestige and presence that comes from it. But those fees get you remarkable exposure, and I would think it is much more than you could generate on your own -- particularly if you also have something else to do like list books, run a family or go to a concert. And I already feel important enough.

I eliminate lower priced books so they don't sit around bugging me. Still, I think I'm more pessimistic about the book business than I've ever been -- and I don't complain much either. As I said, the problem is supply for me. I know all the tricks to make things sell, but I'm lower than I've been in a long time on those things!

Gip

IP Logged

padre
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 7:28pm

I think you're right about eliminating low sellers.   Most of mybooks are $5 to $20, with just a handful of higher priced history books and the like.   I was a history major and instructor in the past, and a newspaper reporter before that.   So I've been around a long time.   Now I'm a bookseller and general collector.   I was 3/4 finished with my doctoral dissertation and was ABD, but I ran out of time and anyway there wasn't much point in the phd anyway.   

Teaching  university entry level students US History and answering the question "will we have to read extra books in this class?" indicated that students really don't want to know more about the subject (any subject) than they absolutely must learn.   

Well I do enjoy cataloguing and listing books, and since I have thousands of them to dispose of it keeps me busy and hopefully in spending money.   

I think I will take a page from your book and stick to the venues through AOB instead of trying to do my own site.   

padre  Undecided

IP Logged

Gip Plaster
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 8:19pm

The forums seem to be our own little messaging system this week. It would be nice if some others would join us -- and if the activity here would return to the level we enjoyed before the big spam problem.

Gip

IP Logged

padre
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:41am

where is everyone?    Welcome one and all !   

padre

IP Logged

catfish
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 8:34pm

I stopped. My last post had 21 replies and 11 were negative or put downs. All because I said sell instead of sale. I enjoyed the other post and I really did learn a lot.

IP Logged

Gip Plaster
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:42pm

I didn't point out your error, but I noticed it and commented once it was mentioned.

The criticism of your post with the grammatical errors was probably excessive, but I put it in the same category as selling a book for a price that's too low or paying a decent price for a book that turns out to be worthless... If I've made the mistake, I have to pay the price. If I'd been more careful, I wouldn't have had a price to pay.

In other words: We all make mistakes, and we can't really expect others to let them pass by unnoticed. It might be polite to allow mistakes other people make to slip by, but it isn't required.

Gip

IP Logged

Stacks_o_Books
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 1st, 2010 at 6:41pm

Quote:
I tend not to worry with low-return ventures, so I didn't get hooked into Presto.

Just wanted to share one quick factoid.

Last month, our PrestoStore did a larger $ sales volume than either Alibris or Barnes and Noble.

Catfish, I apologize about the sell/sale thing. I was an English major, I'm way too detail-oriented, and such things tend to annoy me when I should just let them go. It wasn't about you specifically, because I see plenty of other people using that same term. I intended it to be a constructive comment, it was not mean-spirited. And I believe I went on to answer your question as best I could. Please do not quit posting because of that. You are missed.

IP Logged

Gip Plaster
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 1st, 2010 at 8:54pm

Stacks, apologizing to Catfish was the polite, though not necessary, thing to do. I can't remember exactly what I said then, but perhaps I should apologize, too.

I majored in communication, not English, so I see language slightly differently than an English major. I'm not very concerned with perfect grammar (although mine is fine, thank you), but I'm very concerned with "shared meaning". If a spelling or grammatical issue get in the way of communication, that's when it is a problem.

I'm sure it's possible to make something of Presto store or a White Oaks Books store with proper promotion or a devoted list of previous customers, although I have no interest in doing any more work than I'm doing. My sells, uh, sales are OK, uh, okay.

Actually, they're a bit slow.

Gip

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print