Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  These Forums are for Peer Support. For direct and immediate support, use the Live Chat or Support Ticket System
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vacations, books and tax deductions (Read 27 times)
cbooks
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Vacations, books and tax deductions
Mar 1st, 2010 at 6:50am

Hi everyone  Smiley Glad the forum is back up, and running. Fixing to get my taxes done tomorrow, and thought I would ask a quick question.  If you go on a vacation, but use part of the vacation to stock up on books can you deduct any part of the trip as an expense such as car rental, gas, hotel, meals, etc.?

IP Logged

Stacks_o_Books
YaBB Administrator

A Book is a Present You
Can Open Again and Again

Re: Vacations, books and tax deductions
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 9:08am

That's really a question for an accountant or tax preparer who knows the law for such things, but here's a link to the IRS web site that also has a link for Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses - which should answer your questions.

When we mix business with pleasure, we deduct the transportation expense and any expenses incurred on the day the work activities occurred. So if we scout for 1 day out of a week's vacation, we'll only deduct meals/hotel/etc. for that 1 day. On mileage, I take the entire thing (from home to the actual scouting destination - no side trips or other driving around the destination) because it doesn't matter how long you're there - you still need to GET there.

I'm basing this on what previous employers allowed me to get reimbursed for when I was traveling for business. Wouldn't hurt me to review that IRS publication again myself - it's been a few years!

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=167363,00.html
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2010 at 2:41pm by Stacks_o_Books »  

Opinions expressed here are strictly my own. I am not an employee or representative of The Art of Books.

IP Logged

BookLadies
Ex Member

I love books!

Re: Vacations, books and tax deductions
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 11:15am

We went to the Hawaii FOL book sale in 2007 and it was for the purpose of going to the book sale and a vacation on the side (while we were there lol).  We were using an accountant then, so on her advice we expensed the travel and book sale related expenses and the food.  Which was pretty much all of it - the beach was free   Wink

We also went to the book sale on several days and purchased more items, so that helped with deducting more.

Melissa @ The Book Ladies

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print