Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  These Forums are for Peer Support. For direct and immediate support, use the Live Chat or Support Ticket System
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Happy Thanksgiving! (Read 2403 times)
robin_culver
Ex Member

Happy Thanksgiving!
Nov 26th, 2009 at 8:27am

Hope you all have a great day! Robin

IP Logged

BookLadies
Ex Member

I love books!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 9:42am

Happy Thanksgiving!  Is anyone doing anything special today?

We're doing the usually family get-together for lunch here at our house, then we're taking off to go camping.  We tried to make it a family thing too and invited everyone, but only a few will make it.  It'll be fun anyway   Grin

I've never been the outdoors type, but recently I've been changing - I'm really into camping all of the sudden and I just started enjoying hiking.  That all started around the time we added farm animals to our business - we jokingly call ourselves The Book Farm instead of The Book Ladies LOL.  We have 7 cows (2 to butcher the rest to sell) and 39 hens for eggs (too young to lay yet).  We had 125 chickens just last week, but we took most of them to be butchered (at a really cool Amish farm).  We sold about half of the butchered ones and kept the rest to eat ourselves.  I'm really into the whole self-sufficiency thing.  It used to be just something I read about (Mother Earth News) and wished we could do, but now it's becoming a reality...  HUGE garden, farm-raised eggs, chicken, beef and someday ham.

Next year, we're thinking about raising our own Thanksgiving turkey  Wink

Melissa @ The Book Ladies

IP Logged

Stacks_o_Books
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 4:18pm

Thanks for the good wishes, Robin! Same to you and all AOBer's. I'm thankful because this morning we had a little flurry of orders - people apparently did a little online shopping before starting the day's festivities! I hope tomorrow a few stay out of the mall and shop online instead!

Melissa, I had no idea you were so diversified! Cows, chickens, garden - I agree, The Book Farm sounds much more appropriate! Hmmm -- could you use shredded penny books as animal bedding?

We're having dinner here - just 7 of us this year, so it will be a small group. The upside is, we'll be able to get everyone around our dining room table, so we won't have to have a "kids table" in the kitchen. (My kids are 22 and 23, so they do not appreciate being shuttled of to the kids table anymore.) We eat around 6 p.m., so it's a leisurely day. After dinner is the annual cribbage tournament between my husband and his dad and me and my dad. There is a fair amount of teasing and competitiveness around that!

Then tomorrow - it's back to the books!

IP Logged

TheBook-Let
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 10:26am

Hey, I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, albeit a little late. We had the H1N1 here and canceled our company. But we're all feeling waaaaay better today.  Grin  Just in time to get back to work *sigh*.

Melissa, my husband wants to build a straw-bale house and be self-sufficient, too. The jury is out for me, though. But my daughter goes to a little country Montesorri school that is made of straw-bale construction, and it's off the grid. It has a windmill generator, passive and solar heating and cooling, an organic garden, and all sorts of farm animals.  I love going out there to get my fix, so maybe I'm starting to warm up to the idea. There's something good and wholesome in that life-style that's ver satisfying.

Well, I have to tell you guys how appreciative I am of your help over the past year, and since it's Thanksgiving, it's a good time to say it again. Sometimes I feel like part of the cause of the market bottoming out (one of the many newbies). But you all have welcomed me anyway. I started this business when I got laid off last year, and I suspect many are doing the same now, and that's really affected things. I'm sure it's hard to not be resentful.  I looked over my books last week and decided to purge all my penny books (actually, anything below my profit threshold), so maybe I'll shred them for Melissa's animal bedding, too. I want to reassure everyone that I'm determined not to participate in the rediculousness of the bidding wars and just try to offer books in the "sweet spot" for profit.  I'm also trying to adjust my business model to include a specialty and find a wholesale company that will work. In any case, this business was my dream. I also wanted to open a brick-and-mortar in the Black Hills, where we have land. Now I don't know if that's a reality, but I might go the AMA's convention this year to hear how other shops are surviing. I have to admit, though, it's not for the faint of heart.

I don't know if this is the right forum category for this entry, but I just want to wish you guys a Merry Christmas and a highly profitable New Year, and tell you again how very thankful I am to you for your hospitality and generosity.

Yvonne

IP Logged

dawnb7
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 7:29am

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to all, I have been off the computer from Tuesday until yesterday, I was surprised I did not have withdrawls  Grin, but my daughter and I actually saw the Macy's parade up close and personal, it was wonderful.  My dh had our 3 sons here in VA and they roughed it for the time we were gone and had a great time.  I came home to a beautifully decorated house, they rock.

Melissa, you are living a dream to me, that is awesome, Mother Earth news is a favorite here, but at this point we are still in a neighborhood and have just the garden.  I would love my own fresh eggs, for now we go out to the local farm and get our food there, plus the farmers market.   That is very cool.

How was camping? 

Yvonne, I have to agree, this forum is awesome.  I remember asking questions at Amazon and just crying they were so unkind, then I found AOB about 2 and a half years ago and moved my inventory here, which of course made lighter work of this task of book selling,l and then I found these forums, everyone was so nice and made me feel welcome.

Dawn&&Audrey Rose Booksellers&&www.audreyrosebooks.com

IP Logged

BookLadies
Ex Member

I love books!

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 9:35am

I've read about straw bale construction in Mother Earth News.  Very interesting!  You'll have to post about it if you guys ever go ahead with it!

We have a 5 year plan for selling our current house and building a house and paying as we go - we're planning on using alternate building materials such as ICF (where basically the outer structure would be insulated concrete) or SIPs panels for a super insulated interior and hopefully solar panels for energy.  Wouldn't it be nice not to have an electrical bill??

Camping was great.  Being that we just started camping about a month and a half ago (we've been about 3-4 times since then), it was the coldest we've ever been in - about 28 degrees or so.  There was frost everywhere and it was kinda chilly that first night  8)  Luckily we knew it was going to be cold and got brought tent heaters (we were at an electric site).  Lots of fun though - my parents and some friends also came with us, and we had a really nice time (it was in the 60's during the day).  There was a playground next to us, so the boys had a blast too.  I played Mancala for the first time and I really liked it!

IP Logged

TheBook-Let
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 12:28pm

It sounds like you had a great time camping dispite the frost.  I was going to ask if you were in tents or a camper--I can't sleep on the ground anymore, lol. 

A friend of ours raised his own turkey this year to 35 lbs???!!!  Yowsa!  He couldn't fit it in the oven and had to cut it up into sections.  You'll have to tell us how yours goes next year, if you end up rasing one of your own.

Well, time to gear up for the next holiday--better get cracking and list.

Yvonne

IP Logged

BookLadies
Ex Member

I love books!

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 1:38pm

We were in tents, but not on the ground (CAN'T do that either) - we have a double thick queen air mattress - a really nice one - my husband accidentally bought it at an auction for $1, brand new LOL.  He didn't know it was in the lot he bought until he got it home and started looking through it.

My parents-in-law have a big fifth wheel trailer that they like to camp in, but I really enjoy the tent - something about breathing the fresh air and sleeping in a tent....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print