Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  These Forums are for Peer Support. For direct and immediate support, use the Live Chat or Support Ticket System
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Barnes & Noble fees?? (Read 2484 times)
rose7a
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Barnes & Noble fees??
Oct 13th, 2007 at 10:56pm

I am considering signing up to sell on the Barnes & Noble site.  BUT I can not find any info on fees charged.  If it is still doing beta testing for used book sellers or anything except the link to submit application  I would like to know what I am submitting an application for with all the details first.

Anyone here selling on Barnes & Noble?  Have  any information good or bad on it?

Thanks for all the info.

rose7a

IP Logged

booker
Ex Member

Writer, Bookseller, Blogger

Re: Barnes & Noble fees??
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2007 at 9:13am

As far as I know, they are still beta testing. There is no monthly fee and commissions are similar to Amazon or Alibris, I believe.

I'm part of the beta program (although I had to beg to get it). Since I could never get Alibris to approve my application for their BN program, I begged BN directly and finally got it. There were many technical issues. It took more than a dozen emails to a manager at BN to get everything working. AOB still cannot confirm orders there, which is required, so I must go directly to the site to confirm each order.

I get several orders every month, but if they ever institute a monthly fee, I will drop them. I also don't understand why it is necessary for them to still be in beta. It has seems it has been literally years since they began beta testing. It must have been at least two years. I joined last November, and they had been around for awhile then.

If you are in the Alibris BN program, there is some sort of email addresss conflict that will not allow you to also join BN directly, or so they told me. Others are in both. On Alibris, my BN status shows pending and has for many, many months. It was never approved or rejected.

In short, I would apply and see if you are accepted. If you are not, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you are in the Alibris BN program or if you have several other well-performing venues.

Booker

There's so much more to a simple, meaningful life than just one thing.&&&&Bookselling - Simpler Living - Spirituality - Writing Life&&So Much More...&&http://www.gipplaster.com&&;

IP Logged

dawnb7
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2007 at 12:16pm

Booker, mine showed pending forever too and they told me it was because I was already selling directly through B&N ???, I wasn't so he gave me a direct email to contact B&N and ask what was going on and that is how I ended up getting approved to sell directly through B&N, kind of silly, because and email I sent them back in May asking more probably pleading as you did, if and when I would ever become approved to sell, gave me a return email that they were still in beta testing and would contact me when they decided to add new sellers ???.  It was just this September that I became approved.

Anyway the woman I contacted said that I wasn't approved yet but she would do it then and there and by the next morning I was selling on B&N directly Roll Eyes.  I truly don't think they have their act together.

How are your sales there?  Mine started off great and then in the last couple of weeks has been only 1 sale, where I was pretty much having on average a sale per day or every other day, so I am just curious how it is going for others.

I believe it is just a % commission per sale also.

Dawn&&Audrey Rose Booksellers&&www.audreyrosebooks.com

IP Logged

rose7a
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2007 at 4:47pm

I did apply to Barnes & Nobles.  BUT if you already have an account as a customer (from several years ago) it will NOT let you use the same email address for the merchant application.   Not a problem for me.  After completing the form- B&N said it would notify me when I am accepted. - this info on the web site.

HOW were you able to tell you application is pending?  I am having problems finding links to check for information on my possible account.   

Thanks for any info you care to share.

rose7a

IP Logged

dawnb7
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2007 at 9:15pm

I was never able to find a spot to check for updates on my application, it was not until I contacted Alibris (because I had applied through them also and for months it sat pending on there) and they told me that according to B&N I already had a selling account with B&N, so they gave me a person to contact at B&N to figure out what the issue was and found out I was still pending.  Alibris says pending but directly on B&N I don't believe there is a way to find out if you are pending. 

Anyway unfortunately I have since cleaned out my mail box and don't have that persons name that Alibris had given me to contact at B&N, but you might try through their site to ask them about you application.

Dawn&&Audrey Rose Booksellers&&www.audreyrosebooks.com

IP Logged

booker
Ex Member

Writer, Bookseller, Blogger

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 9:19am

My BN sales are slow and inconsistent. As I said, I really don't think it was worth the effort I went through to get it working. It might be someday, especially since they have redesigned their main site, so I'm hanging on.

It would help greatly if AOB could confirm my BN orders for me. I feel like a spend a lot of extra time dealing with BN orders. But with all of AOB's other recent troubles, I doubt that fixing this issue is a priority.

Other quirks with BN: Sometimes, orders have to be confirmed more than once for it to "take" or will not complete and be accepted for hours or even days. Secondly, their payment summary on the main seller page is inaccurate. It used to be correct, but now mine shows hundreds of dollars that they owe me that has actually been paid. Both are known issues, I'm told.

Booker

There's so much more to a simple, meaningful life than just one thing.&&&&Bookselling - Simpler Living - Spirituality - Writing Life&&So Much More...&&http://www.gipplaster.com&&;

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print