Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  These Forums are for Peer Support. For direct and immediate support, use the Live Chat or Support Ticket System
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Deciding where to list books (Read 1715 times)
devoredata
Ex Member

Deciding where to list books
Mar 6th, 2006 at 12:04pm

So, are you careful to only list old/rare books on Biblio?  I signed up recently and I let my whole inventory float over there from AOB which included newer books and other books that probably didn't quite meet what they were looking for.  After about a week of waiting for approval/dispproval, I got disapproved because my inventory wasn't quite what they were looking for. 

So, those of you who are successful with Biblio, do you just exclude a lot of books from getting listed there and only allow the older books?  Since a lot of older books don't have ISBNs anyway, what is the best way to list them... can you do it through AOB or do you just have to list them exclusively at Biblio? 

Sorry if I sounds like a newbie, I am.

IP Logged

BrooklynBooks
Ex Member

Re: Deciding where to list books
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2006 at 7:29am

I list all my books on Biblio and have never had a problem with them (except the slow sales but that I expected). I have old rare books, not so old books and onces that are less than a year old. As far as I can tell they are all listed. Perhaps they can tell you why your inventory wasn't approved.

IP Logged

John Sweeney
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2006 at 12:46pm

I think Biblio is getting more choosy.  I signed up there a little over two years ago, and did not have a problem.  I list everything there, including the $3 mmpb’s I have bothered to inventory.  I have more items on Biblio, in fact, than any other site.  In the intervening years I think a lot of people have signed up, and they probably do not want to get more books in their database if it is simply duplicating what they already have a lot of.  Without looking at your inventory specifically, it is hard to guess exactly what their reasoning was.  If they were fairly common books I can understand their thinking.

As to your other question, pre-ISBN books can be listed almost anywhere.  Alibris, ABE, Biblio, Amazon and eBay all allow them.  Half is about the only place where they are not able to be listed.  Where do you currently list?  If you are on Amazon and not listing your pre-ISBN books there, do you know how to match the BASIN’s, or how to create a new listing?

And what is that creature in the picture you have by your messages?  Is it a chainsaw artist, a duck with an anger management problem, or what?

IP Logged

Stacks_o_Books
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 10:27am

I found this on the Biblio site and thought it would be helpful for those looking at Biblio:

This was posted in their bookseller's forum by their Admin.:

"Beginning in February, we implemented a much stricter set of criteria for approving new booksellers. Since that time, we have refused the majority of new applications we have received, and have removed a large number of sellers who do not meet adequate customer service expectations. You may be interested to view some of the criteria we use in screening new booksellers below: [link provided, contents posted below]"

What does Biblio look for in a bookseller application?

Upload formats

It is essential that the format in which you send your uploads is compatible with Biblio's systems. Most common inventory management programs are fully compatible with Biblio, as are many custom formats. We no longer accept the Amazon Open Listings report as a valid upload format, as it contains little to no information about the book, and in which the author / title field is often truncated, and lacks essential bibliographic information, such as the publisher and place of publication.

Book pricing

It is important that your books are priced competitively for you to be successful on Biblio. This does not necessarily mean that you must have the lowest priced copy, but that your overall pricing strategy is consistently within a competitive selling range. We may reject applications when we find that the overall prices contained in the sample upload are far too inflated to be attractive to customers. Similarly, books priced at less than $1.00 are not accepted on Biblio.

Description of inventory

This is probably one of the most important points we examine when evaluating applications, to ensure that books are individually described using standard trade terminology and with flaws noted properly so that the customer is able to make a fully informed purchase decision.

Here are some examples of book descriptions that are both professional and descriptive:

* NF/NF. 8vo. 162pp. B&W pict. jacket over black cloth. Slight wear to Dj spine and corners, mild bumping to spine and top upper corner. Light foxing to end-papers.

* Fine in like jacket. 8vo.

* VG/VG. Jacket chipped at top edge. Remainder mark to bottom edge.

Some important things that you should avoid in your book descriptions are below:

* Use of unprofessional phrases such as "BRAND NEW !!!!" "Great Deal!" "STILL IN SHRINKWRAP !!!!" "A+++"

* Use of terms such as "Acceptable," "Grade B" or "Used-standard" instead of standard terminology such as "Very good" or "Good" to describe condition

* Use of indeterminate or noncommittal phrases such as "May have some highlighting or underlining" or "May have remainder mark"

If you're just getting started, a good way to learn how to accurately and properly describe books is to spend time studying the catalogs or listings of experienced booksellers who have a good reputation in the industry.

Inventory quality and or selection

We also review booksellers' inventory samples for the quality of their inventory selection. We look for unique, specialty or less than common stock that compliments the inventory available on Biblio, or, for more common stock (such as recent hardcover mysteries or romances, for example), where the condition of the inventory is excellent or has distinguishing characteristics (such as being signed by the author).

It is also essential that only books and book-related ephemera is contained in an upload. For example, audio books, journals, original cover artwork, or original author correspondence would be acceptable items for sale on Biblio. Music cds, DVDs, and cellular phones are examples of unacceptable items for sale.

Complete and accurate application

All requested information on the bookseller application must be complete and correct, including business address, terms of sale and phone number.

Adequate returns policy

All booksellers are required to maintain a reasonable returns policy in which customers may return a book within a specified period of time. Examples of reasonable return policies are as follows:

* 30 day return on misdescribed books.

* Books may be returned for any reason within 14 days of receipt.

The following are not considered reasonable:

* Books may be returned within 7 days of shipment (time allowed is inadequate)

* Books may be returned for a 25% restocking fee in 14 days (restocking fees are not permitted)

Reasonable shipping fees

It is important that a bookseller's shipping fees are reasonable for all destinations, both domestic and international. Although we do allow booksellers to set their own shipping rates, as we understand business needs and practices may vary, shipping fees must not be excessive or unreasonable, or be an obvious effort to mislead the customer as to the overall costs of their purchase.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print