Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  These Forums are for Peer Support. For direct and immediate support, use the Live Chat or Support Ticket System
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Setting categories on Chrislands, Ebay, Amazon (Read 3223 times)
AZ_Trader
Ex Member

Setting categories on Chrislands, Ebay, Amazon
Feb 19th, 2006 at 12:47am

Hi, I've just started up a Chrislands site through AOB, and I'm trying to figure out how best to categorize my listings.  I'd like to use a method that will categorize my listings on Chrislands and in my Amazon Zshop as well as on Ebay.  Any suggestions how best to do this?  I know there are Zshop categories I can setup in AOB, will those work on Chrislands as well?  And how about my Ebay store?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Regards, Don

IP Logged

AZ_Trader
Ex Member

Re: Setting categories on Chrislands, Ebay, Amazon
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 1:14am

Actually, it looks like the Amazon Zshops Browse Paths is what I want to use - so my question becomes: will Amazon Browse Paths also categories my Chrislands listings?
-Don

IP Logged

AZ_Trader
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 12:51pm

Looks like I'm answering my own questions here - no problem with that, right?  Wink

On the new items I listed last night I defined new Browse Paths in the Zshops field of the single listing input page, and I was happy to discover this morning that these categories magically showed up BOTH on my new Chrislands site and on my Amazon Zshop.  I listed a mixture of books, audiobooks, videos and music CDs, and they all showed up in their proper categories.

I defined paths like Books:Nonfiction:General and Movies:VHS.  The colons created a nested menu structure in the Amazon Zshop, but just a flat list of categories with these names (colons included) on Chrislands - that will work ok.

I think I'll have to go back and redefine my category structure on Ebay to use the Browse Path field for this to work in my Ebay store.  Current I have the categories there set up to search my listing text.  I think I have to first define the new categories on the Ebay side, then change my Ebay store settings on the AOB side to use the Browse Path field.

I'm recording this just in case anyone else is strugging with this issue.  Any additional learning here from others will be appreciated!
Regards, Don

IP Logged

lynn
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 1:39pm

Hi Don,
I really appreciate your post. But, I am still in the dark. Can't make it simple enough for me..ha ha!
If you don't mind, I would like to have you email me. I would like to ask you more about how you like Chrislands, etc.
Thanks in advance,
Lynn
blessedbybooks@comcast.net

IP Logged

drewmarclael
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 4:47pm

Thanks Az_Trader for posting the info on Chrislands categories.  Works just like you said it would!

Also, wanted to let everyone know that I have taken the Chrislands plung recently and so far I am quite pleased.  I like the site they built, and it still seems to have all the flexibility I would have had I built it myself (changing any page, adding pages, chenging the meta-tags, etc.)  Looks like it saved me a ton of time and gave me a great leg up to my own site. 

Now if I could just figure out all the marketing angles to deive folks to the site!

www.qualityschooltextbooks.com ;   (still a work in progress)

IP Logged

mysticfrogbooks
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 11:32am

Greetings,
I'm new to AOB & currently have a website being built by Chrislands.  I want to start editing my listings so when I'm ready to upload to my Chrislands website, they'll go where they're supposed to, so this is great information.  Question:  how do you define a browse path in in the zshops field?  Is it as simple as, for example,  "Religion & Sprirituality; Buddhism;" for a category and subcategory? Do I need to use semi-colons or colons?  Any help or comments would be appreciated.  Smiley  

By the way, these posts are a few months old.  Are you still happy with Chrislands?  I've been trying to build my own website for 3 months and it's so time consuming, intimidating, confusing, etc., to someone with limited time and intelligence like myself, so I was very excited when I found Chrislands. I'm also very pleased so far with AOB.  A great service.
Many thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

christianbookbag
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2006 at 5:06am

Steve,

You would type Religion & Spirituality::Buddhism for a category and subcategory. Make sure you always do it the same or you will have multiple categories. Example: Audiobooks::CD would appear in a different category than Audiobooks:CDs. Under settings--single list page settings--Amazon browse paths, you can make choices for a drop-down box on the single listing page.

We have had a Chrislands website for four months and have been fairly pleased with the results (www.christianbookbag.com). However, only our homepage is indexed by Google so far, so most of our orders come from Google Adwords. We get some business coming from people who have bought on other venues. Without Adwords, I think I'd be dissapointed.

Happy selling!
Natalie

IP Logged

barbara
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 12:19pm

Thanks for this post!  I'm working on getting my categories set up as well on Chrislands.  Is there anyway to have books go automatically to a category or do you have to select one for each listing you do on the single list page?

IP Logged

christianbookbag
Ex Member

I love YaBB 1G - YaBB
2!

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2006 at 6:32pm

I don't think there is a way to do it automatically. The closest thing would be to download your inventory, delete all of the columns except sku, title, and amazon browse path, then add all of your category names to the amazon browse path column (if you can guess them from the title) and reupload. That way you don't have to add them individually.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print